Seattle designer Luly Yang worked with Team Members at the Space Needle to reimagine the uniforms.
Team Member Uniforms
Team Members are often the first touchpoint of the Space Needle brand with Guests from all across the globe. Our Team Members help communicate our values and ensure our Guests receive the best we have to offer. Wear your uniform with pride, embody our company values, and you'll transform moments into experiences of a lifetime.
Team Member Uniform
- Polo shirt (Attractions, Admissions, Elevators, Security, Valet)
- Food & Beverage shirt
- Facilities shirt
- Name Tag
- Black pants (see updated guidelines below!)
- Black socks
- Predominantly black shoes
Long-sleeved black or white t-shirt for layering under company-issued shirt in colder weather, company-issued hat, company-issued fleece jacket, company-issued rain jacket
How the Uniform Designs were Created
In early 2020, we partnered with Seattle designer, Luly Yang, to design a custom uniform program for our Team Members. She and her team came to the Space Needle and held focus groups with teams from Retail, Guest Safety, Valet, Photo, F&B, and Elevator Operators to collect feedback on the old uniforms, functional requests for new uniforms, and general preferences. Our goal was to create a custom uniform program that met these requests that came directly from our team.
Here is a summary of some of the requests from the team that went into consideration with the uniform program design:
- Freedom of movement for job functions
- Pockets – as many as possible
- Layering options for different temperatures
- Darker colors that don’t show stains
- Quick-dry tops that can be work untucked or tucked in
- Easily distinguishable between work groups / departments
- Unique and distinctive signature details
Based on the team’s input, we built a uniform program with the goal of creating a unique, clean, and innovative uniform line that is timeless but also reflects the futuristic spirit of the Space Needle. Due to the pandemic, we were forced to halt production until 2022, when we were able to restart the production and delivery of the summer kit. As we move into fall/winter, we’ll add warm layers to the collection.
Standards of Appearance + Dress Code
As a Team Member of Space Needle, your personal image is one of the first impressions our Guests will remember about our Attraction. Our Guests vary widely in their cultures and social norms. For this reason, Space Needle maintains a conservative appearance to appeal to all our Guests and would like each Team Member’s personality to shine through. Team Members must always be conscious of their appearance, hygiene, and manners.
Team Members who require a reasonable accommodation to the standards or requirements set forth in this policy for reasons based on religion, disability or other grounds protected by federal, state or local laws should contact their Supervisor or Human Resources representative.
The following grooming policies and procedures apply to every hourly uniformed Team Member:
- Team Members are expected to wear the uniform specific to their department
- New uniform for most departments will be polo shirt + black pants + black shoes
- Name tag to be visible either on polo shirt or jacket
- Team Members can continue to wear their company-given fleece grey fleece jacket or wind breaker
- Additions, deletions, faded garments or alterations to uniforms are prohibited
- Uniforms are to be clean, pressed, and presentable at all times
- Uniforms should have an appropriate fit. The uniform should not be worn too tight or too loose. Because there are many body types, the Space Needle has allowed Team Members to provide their own pants for the uniform
- No cargo pants except for Facilities team
- No visible logos on pants or any other Team Member supplied garment
- No jeans, including black denim
- New polo shirts can be worn untucked – as per design
- Shirts worn underneath uniforms must be solid black or white and must be complementary to the uniform
- Hats shall be company-issued
- Hat brims of Space Needle issued hats must always face forward
- Uniforms are to be clean, wrinkle-free, and presentable at all times
- Black pants are required for most departments
- Pants must be worn at the waist
- Pants should not have ragged or frayed pant cuffs
- If pants have belt loops, a brown or black leather belt is required. Synthetic leather belt is acceptable
- Jeans (including black denim), prints, patterns, velvet, Lycra, and Spandex are prohibited
- Fishnet leggings or seamed nylons are not allowed
- Pants that are a mix of fibers (cotton + polyester, nylon, Tencel, etc.) will fade less due to washing
- A “wrinkle free” material is preferred
- Need ideas? Check out our guide of suggested styles of pants
- If your department was issued new uniforms (Attractions, Valet, Retail-not warehouse, Safety, and Photo), you're eligible to order pants through our Team Member portal.
Shorts are only permitted during extreme heat events (over 85 degrees). Your department manager will communicate when they are acceptable to wear.
- All clothing must be neat and conservative. No rips, frayed hems, spandex, or athleisure wear
- All pants, shorts, skirts must be solid black
- Shorts/skirts must be modest length - below the mid-point of the thigh
- All other personal appearance standards apply (i.e. close toed shoes, uniform shirts, nametags, etc.)
- Department managers may determine if the apparel is acceptable and disallow any garment to be worn if deemed unprofessional
- Must be clean at all times
- Laces tied (if applicable) at all times
- Team Members are required to wear black slip-resistant, sturdy shoes
- Safety shoes or boots may be required based on the scope of work or in specific departments. If job duties require specific protection of feet or toes, proper footwear must be worn
- Open-toe shoes are not allowed
Non-Uniform Team Member Appearance
Attire must be compatible with a business-like environment and must be clean, not frayed, well-groomed, and professional. Jeans are not appropriate for our business. Non-uniform Team Members should follow a high standard of personal grooming.